Thursday, August 18, 2011

That Whole J-Pop in the Philippines Issue « The Life of a Storm Chaser

002. That Whole J-Pop in the Philippines Issue « The Life of a Storm Chaser


That Whole J-Pop in the Philippines Issue

Disclaimer: This blog entry does not mean to offend any parties. If you do not agree with my opinion and do not want to leave any constructive opinion, then I recommend that you don’t comment.
A couple of days ago, a Facebook friend of mine shared a link to Universal Records Philippines. I was surprised that URF was making a poll, asking if we want them to officially release J-Pop albums in the Philippines. I’m surprised because this is the first time that record agencies in the Philippines have made such an announcement about J-Pop.
Probably a few hours later, URF released a statement, saying that “We are still in the process of education [and] preparation [for J-Pop]…”
A couple of days later, the news reached aramatheydidnt, one of my favorite sources for Japanese entertainment news. It seems that a lot are against mainstreaming J-Pop in the Philippines. There’s even a Facebook fan page against it.
I, for one, am okay with it. Not to mainstreaming J-Pop in the Philippines, but at least to have the music readily accessible.
I buy J-Pop CDs straight from Japan, with the help of CDJapan and YesAsia. However, I can’t buy them as often as I want to. Aside from the expensive price, there’s the shipping fee to worry about. Whenever my favorite artist would release an album, it’s either I would nearly starve myself to save up for the CD or I would just give up buying altogether because I have other expenses to worry about. Back then I was still relying on my parents’ allowance (and we aren’t a rich family, mind you), and I had school expenses to worry about. As much as it pains me, I would end up downloading the album online.
If J-Pop becomes available in the Philippines, then I wouldn’t have to worry about paying for the shipping fee. I would help my favorite artist by buying their work instead of ripping it online, for free. At least those sales would help the artist long-term.
I understand the fears of the other fans—some are worried about the quality of the J-Pop releases here, others are worried about the poser fans and the jejemons. Here are my two cents.
I can’t really say anything about the quality of J-Pop if ever they do release CDs here in the Philippines. I think we should still support our favorite J-Pop artists nonetheless. Well, if you really want a better quality, then you could still choose to buy the Japanese releases, if you’re willing to pay the shipping fee. For fans who couldn’t afford it, I guess the Filipino release is just fine.
As for those poser fans and those jejemons? I think that’s an unavoidable part of a fad in the Philippines. I’ve seen the Meteor Garden and the F4 fad, and I’ve seen a bit of the K-Pop wave here. There will always those poser fans and jejemons that will pop up in any fandom. Be grateful that you’re a genuine fan, at least. No need to spread the hate or hate on people for that.
If you see that a J-Pop song is being copied and localized? Exercise your right as a fan. If you think that a J-Pop song’s copyright is being violated? Report it to the record company or, if you can, the agency itself. You’ve seen how Johnny’s takes down those YouTube videos faster than the speed of light. I bet you that Johnny’s and other J-Pop music agencies will take quick action.
For the whole J-Pop vs. K-Pop war that will ensue when J-Pop gets released? I don’t really get the wars, really. J-Pop and K-Pop are two totally different things. K-Pop did not copy J-Pop and vice-versa. One genre is not better than the other. Let’s just let the other fans appreciate what they want to listen to and stop hating on what the other fans want to listen to. It’s as simple as that.
(My Tumblr and Twitter friend said that the Philippines is lucky. At least J-Pop gets that much exposure, unlike her hometown in Australia.)
I’m not saying that J-Pop will become a wave in the Philippines. My point is, I want the music to become accessible just so that I can give small contribution can help my favorite artists, to help them earn and live on.
Besides, if we get lucky, we might even see our favorite J-Pop artists on familiar shores. Now that will be a sight to see.

0 comments:

Post a Comment